There is a high probability that you have come across some marketing campaigns in the past few hours. Such campaigns would use either the traditional or digital marketing approach, if not both.
Before the 20th century, businesses depended solely on the traditional channel to advertise their products and services. Today, a wide range of options exist for an organization to reach its target audience beyond the use of traditional marketing.
In this article, we take a look at the distinctive features of traditional marketing and digital marketing. You can then decide which of the two you prefer for your brand. However, for most businesses in the 21st century, a combination of both is recommended.
What is traditional marketing?
Traditional marketing is the use of conventional marketing channels like the radio, television, magazines, newspapers, billboards, telephone calls and text messages to create awareness about an existing brand, product or service.
- Traditional marketing makes a strong, lasting impact on the audience. Today, many of us can still remember television commercials of Kellogg Cereals, Peak Milk, Coca-Cola and Pepsi that were done more than 15 years ago because they were highly impactful.
- It is relatively permanent and difficult to tweak or manipulate.
- The performance of traditional marketing campaigns is difficult to measure.
- It is more expensive when compared with digital marketing.
- It is not usually personalized or customized for individual targets.
- The campaign is localized with low engagement and slow conversion.
What is digital marketing?
Digital marketing is the use of internet-based technologies to create awareness about a company’s products or service. Digital marketing communicates a brand’s message in multimedia form, using a broad range of channels like websites, mobile applications, social media, email, games, webinars, articles, search engine and affiliate marketing.
- Digital marketing promotes integrated marketing communication (IMC) as the same message can be easily adapted and communicated through various internet-based technologies.
- Digital marketing encourages audience engagement with your business and offers instant feedback, enabling you to know how they perceive your brand.
- The conversion rate is much higher and you can easily measure the performance of your campaign with inbuilt insights.
- Digital marketing is dynamic as new innovations and updates are introduced to enhance performance.
- Unlike traditional marketing, digital marketing can target people in different locations across the globe at once.
- It is less expensive and the budget can be easily controlled.
- Digital marketing is often customized for the target audience.
- Unfortunately, it could be annoying. Few people like to see adverts while they are playing games, on a site or using applications, including social media.
Which Should You Choose?
Traditional marketing will help you to create awareness in your immediate environment. Despite the popularity of digital marketing, traditional marketing is not antiquated. In fact, multinational companies that have been with us for centuries, including start-ups and small businesses, make use of traditional marketing. And it is highly recommended if your service or products serve older people or your business operates in a rural environment.